Documentation > IPUMS API Program > Changelog / What's New
Changelog / What's New
Version 2 (Released 3/3/2023)
- Please see upgrading to Version 2 for information about how to upgrade API-consuming code to work with Version 2.
- [BREAKING CHANGE] The data extract request payload JSON member keys (field names) were changed from snake_case to camelCase to conform with JSON best practices.
- [BREAKING CHANGE] Query parameters have changed from snake_case to camelCase to stay aligned with our JSON payload member key change.
- [BREAKING CHANGE] The DataExtractResponse schema has changed. Most extract details are now encapsulated within a new top level JSON member key
- [NOTE] The
versionquery parameter format switched from vVERSION to just VERSION starting with Version 2. Therefore, whereas Version 1 required
version=v1Version 2 requires
- New Data Collections
- Partial IPUMS International data extract functionality (see here for supported functionality)
- New Features
- Case selection support for USA, CPS and IPUMS International
- Attached characteristics support for USA, CPS, and IPUMS International
- Data quality flag support USA and CPS
- Hierarchical extracts support for USA, CPS, and IPUMS International
- Support for year selection for time_series_table extracts for NHGIS
- Support for paging API results
- New /data_tables endpoint to list all data_tables across all datasets for NHGIS
- data_tables response metadata now contains the universe and the count of variables for NHGIS
- NHGIS data extract request responses were not returning a status. Now returns ‘queued’ status.
- NHGIS now returns breakdown values in the proper order and no longer returns breakdown values with no value.
- NHGIS now returns dataset and time_series_table metadata in proper year-sorted order.
- Microdata collections’ extracts listings no longer error if a non-existent sample or variable is encountered in a prior extract request
- Created Version 2 documentation and relocated Version 1 documentation
- Documentation updates and fixes
- Retired the beta user role and manual approval process
Version 1 (Released 3/3/2023)
- We introduced a unified IPUMS API versioning strategy.
- IPUMS API Version 1 includes all API functionality that was released prior to March 2023.
- IPUMS USA and IPUMS CPS data extract functionality exited beta status and entered stable status.